Thursday, September 13, 2007

Courage For Living



Far too often we seem to focus on our weaknesses instead of our strengths. On what we cannot do instead of what we can. We look to others for their approval of our lives instead of looking inwardly in order to find out, “What’s the song in my heart?”

Each year around the globe men and women of every race, creed, religion and financial status are imprisoned. Sent by others to serve their appointed sentence behind bars. No matter what the crime a penalty is imposed due to behaviour considered by society inappropriate.

The statistics on the number of people incarcerated around the globe is astounding yet, there are millions more who because of wrong thinking have allowed themselves to become prisoners. Self-imposed by fears, insecurities, negative thinking, circumstances both (past and present), hurts, lack of self-confidence; the list is endless and so different for us all. Some people live their lives convinced that circumstances or other people have kept them down. The truth is simple, only we hold the key to our own success.

For many years I had given mental assent to this truth but nothing changed until the coin dropped. Only when the coin drops in our heart can we derive the truth in any given circumstance.

As a businesswoman I have found myself in countless corporate offices. One of the most prominent features is what I call motivational sayings. You know, the kind that excites your soul when you read them, make you feel like a winner when you hang them on your walls, or superior to others as you send them on their way via email. As if by the mere fact of having done so equates to success. Oh, if it were only that easy!

The only constant in the world today is change. With this in mind we shouldn’t be surprised when we face challenges, or as I like to call them opportunities for solutions.
One of my favorite quotes,” I am never down, I am either up or getting up!” People who have fallen short because of life’s circumstance and yet summon the courage to continue to move forward are extremely successful and valuable to the rest of us.

It is with this message in my heart that I will endeavor to speak with as many people who have faced adversity and continued with an unshakeable courage in spite of it. No one is exempt from pain or failure in this life; it is however what we do with the pain that counts.

For example, recently my daughter Jennifer sent me a link to this video on YouTube about Patrick Henry Hughes. WOW, what a testimony about the human spirit overcoming adversity. Not only about Patrick, but about his parents, especially his father. Enjoy the video above.

In the quiet moments of my life I wonder how I can get back to the so-called basics. As if to pull the slack out of us a day that will forever mark the history books occurs, September 11, 2001. Lives from that moment forever changed. After the initial horror even those of us who have looked on from a distance ask, how does this affect me?

I believe it is time for us to look inward and search our hearts. You might even be surprised by what you find there! I’m a firm believer that we all have been given gifts and talents that were meant to be used to help others. Some people have never measured success in this way and still others know the truth and have not summoned the courage to move forward in the direction of their dreams.

There are many ways pain can become a part of your life. Yet the greatest pain to endure is to continue day by day with your song unsung. However, you may find that when you begin to sing you’re singing solo. Continue to sing “the song in your heart” others will gather around you and begin to sing also!

Additional information at my website DynamicLiving4U.com

No comments: